On October 30, 1974 in Kinshasa, Zaire … 60,000 spectators gathered to watch George Foreman (the undefeated world heavyweight champion) and Muhammad Ali (the former champion) square off against one another … in what is widely considered the greatest sporting event of the 20th century.
The historic boxing event … dubbed “The Rumble in the Jungle” had Ali pegged as a 4-1 underdog.
Facing a physically superior competitor … Ali recognized he had little chance of victory if he tried to trade blows with Foreman. As such, he had a secret plan … and as the second round commenced … Ali put his never before seen “Rope-a-Dope” plan into action.
Leaning back on the ropes and covering his head, Ali allowed Foreman to punch at his arms and his body. Weathering a storm of punches … Ali would deliver a flurry of strategic shots, once George had grown tired.
Foreman didn’t realize the amount of energy he was expending while landing largely ineffective strikes.
And … as the 8th round was winding down … Ali delivered a final flurry of punches to an energy-depleted Foreman … sending the exhausted champion to the canvas!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Not much, really.
That said, while our client isn’t looking for a prized pugilist … they are looking for an individual who can deliver expertise, strategy and creativity to their organization in the capacity of a National Manager, Logistics.
POSITION: NATIONAL MANAGER, LOGISTICS
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR
LOCATION: NORTH YORK / VAUGHAN AREA
The National Manager, Logistics will optimize the organization’s transportation network by leveraging existing infrastructure + alternative modes of transportation to meet client commitments and provide optimum service. Collaborating with Operations and Sales … the focus will be to improve service levels by identifying efficiencies.
- Analyze transportation service offerings (on both client and vendor sides) in to increase efficiencies
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop plans to address gaps in service, cost and market rates
- Develop transportation team via training and implementation of best practices
- Collaborate with internal departments to review inbound costs and advise on strategies to reduce costs
- Identify alternative inbound schedules and loading procedures to improve efficiency of receiving activities
- Conduct meetings with stakeholders to review receiving costs, metrics and trends
- Review delivery schedules, order availability and client commitments … and propose appropriate solutions
- Analyze company’s delivery service offering + customer inputs + individual carrier performance
- Monitor transportation services + costs … to identify trends and highlight areas of improvement
- Develop dynamic costing model to assign transportation costs to specific accounts to evaluate profitability
- Negotiate freight rates + services with carriers + review existing service + manage relations with suppliers
- Prepare feasibility studies for product distribution
- Analyze purchasing of the company’s private truck and automobile fleets
- Ensure procedures are in place for transportation conditions … ie; temperature, humidity, lighting controls, sanitation, to maintain quality and safe distribution of company’s products, (as per GUI-0069 Guidelines for Temperature Control of Drug Products during Storage and Transportation)
- MUST HAVE: 10 to 15 years’ experience in transportation / logistics industry
- MUST HAVE: 5 years’ experience in a management capacity
- MUST HAVE: Post-secondary education + a professional designation CITT
- Extensive experience dealing with transportation service providers for all modes of transportation within Canada including; couriers, common carriers, dedicated carriers, air carriers … and rail
- Experience in cross-border shipping + strong planning skills + MS Excel + knowledge of AS400
- REALLY NICE TO HAVE: Log Pro TMS
BASE SALARY: $100,000 – $110,000
MBO: up to 10%
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $110,000 – $121,000
OTHER: benefits + rrsp
INTERESTED? There are 3 things we’ll need from you;
- Send your resume to Zafreen Kassam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure subject line of your email reads; ROPE-A-DOPE – 1A91MTCHFBL
- In a short email … please tell Zafreen how your experience fits what we’ve outlined above.