Herbert Paul Brooks Jr. was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota in 1937 and had a moderately successful career as a hockey player. However, once he hung up his skates and took a position behind the bench … his name would be etched into hockey history!
On February 22, 1980 … in Lake Placid, New York, the hockey team Brooks had pieced together from a patchwork of American college and other amateur players took to the ice in the semi-final game … against an all-star line up from the Soviet Union.
His group of underdogs pulled-off one of the most miraculous upsets in hockey history.
They defeated the USSR by a score of 4-3 … in what is commonly referred to as … ‘The Miracle on Ice’.
When the host of ABC’s Wide World of Sports, Jim McKay was asked to describe what viewers had just witnessed; he said … “That may be the greatest upset in sports history” … adding it was the equivalent of an all-star football team of Canadian college boys beating the Pittsburgh Steelers – (who had just won their fourth Super Bowl in six years)!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Not much … really!
That said … just as Brooks’ clear and competent leadership inspired these young men to accomplish the impossible … our client is looking for strong ‘leadership capacity’ in their next Director, Operations – (and … sprinkling in a few miracles … every now and then, wouldn’t hurt)!
This Director, Operations is ultimately responsible for the operation of 4 manufacturing plants (3 in Ontario and 1 in Quebec. Our client is looking for a ‘hands-on” leader … not an arm chair quarterback!
The mandate is simple:
Ensure all 4 Plants operate at maximum efficiency & productivity, while adhering to all laws, protection of employees’ safety and product safety.
POSITION: DIRECTOR, OPERATIONS
REPORTS TO: SENIOR DIRECTOR, OPERATIONS
- Provide operational guidance to Plant Managers and staff – across 4 manufacturing facilities
- Work with Plant Managers, Supervisors, Engineering and Suppliers to reduce operational cost, utilities and raw materials
- Along with Plant Managers … determine goals for individual plants and monitor effectiveness
- Conduct annual performance reviews with the Plant Managers and their supervising staff
- Monitor daily operational systems and processes of plants versus efficiency goals (adjusting processes, as necessary)
- Maintain active relationships with all Plant Department Heads … and review KPIs … ensuring goals are met
- Search for areas of opportunity in reviewing results … to find “tweaks” in processes to bolster performance
- Provide feedback on union actives and be fully involved in grievances when they reach arbitration
- HIGHLY PREFERRED: Post-secondary Diploma or Degree in Engineering
- MUST HAVE: 8+ years’ experience in Senior Management Operational capacity (must have led direct reports)
- Experienced with Electrical Control Design and PLC software systems
- Skilled in production, quality, labour management, employee relations, customer relations and finance
- Proven experience in the ability in plant and process improvements
- Exquisite time management / planning skills (to implement and complete projects)
- Budget planning and maintaining
- Proven experience formulating innovative solutions
- Excellent communication skills and proven negotiating skills with suppliers and labour / unions
- Working knowledge of Safety, Environmental and Quality Standards
- Technical support for plant engineering and maintenance departments
- Able to balance multiple projects simultaneously … and work under pressure to achieve project completion timelines
- Ability to travel (not a heavy travel schedule) to all 4 Canadian plants … (and occasionally, to USA)
- And finally … the ability (and desire) to ‘get the job done’ when extenuating circumstances inevitably arise.
BASE SALARY RANGE: $140,000 – $150,000
ON-TARGET MBO: $35,000 (can earn more, for over achievement)
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $175,000 – $185,000
OTHER: benefits + rrsp contribution + company vehicle package (Director Level)
If you ‘tick the boxes’ with respect to the qualifications for this role … the ball is in your court. And … this is what happens next;
1 – Email your resume to Mark Krpan at; firstname.lastname@example.org
2 – Ensure the subject line of your email reads; MIRACLE – 19J19MTCHFBL
3 – Based on the job description … please tell Mark specifically, what makes you a legitimate contender.