In August 1945, a group of spectators gathered in Buñol, Spain (pop. 9,000) to enjoy the annual “Giants & Big-Heads Parade”, in the Town Square.
At some point, the spectators decided to join in on the parade.
Long story short, one of the ‘official’ participant’s Big-Head fell off, and he flew into a rage.
As there was a market stall of vegetables nearby, people started grabbing tomatoes and pelting each other with them, until local police stepped in.
The following year, several people took part in a pre-planned quarrel – bringing their own tomatoes from home. This marked the beginning to a yearly tradition that has grown to upwards of 40,000 participants!
‘La Tomatina’ has easily earned the distinction of the world’s largest food fight.
The ‘fight’ begins at 10:00am and lasts for one hour.
Approximately 150,000 tomatoes (88,000 pounds) are splattered.
PS: Surprisingly, the town of Buñol doesn’t even grow tomatoes!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Well, nothing at all.
That said, while we have your attention, Match and Fable would like to tell you about Paul Litschko’s latest role. He is looking for a Health & Safety Coordinator for our Burlington-based client!
POSITION: HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR
REPORTS TO: HEALTH & SAFETY MANAGER
- Maintain awareness of amendments to Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations, and make recommendations for their implementation
- Assist in conducting risk analysis, hazard analysis, and physical demand analysis
- Monitor adherence to company safety program by all employees, visitors, and contractors
- Assist in planning, designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating safety programs
- Conduct safety talks + observations, physical demands + job hazard analysis + mentor employees on safety practices
- Safety training, inspections, investigations, and audits + develop corrective and preventive actions.
- Assist in developing policies, process, programs, standards, safe work practices and updating manuals, and training materials
- Research, plan, organize, and conduct training programs/seminars
- Research occupational safety information on regular basis and ensure best practices are implemented
- Track all corrective and preventive actions and ensure that they are completed promptly
- Assist in meeting the requirements of COR / ISO 45001 / WSIB excellence program
- Degree and certificate -or- Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- Safety designations such as CRSP or CHSC (an asset)
- 3+ years’ experience in Occupational Health & Safety in an industrial establishment
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the OHSA and workers’ compensation legislation
- Strong organizational + communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office
BASE SALARY: $50,000 – $65,000
OTHER: benefits + rrsp + vacation + eap + education assistance program
There are 3 things we’ll need from you;
- Please send your resume to Paul Litschko at; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure the subject line of your email reads FOOD FIGHT – 1G22MTCHFBL
- In a short email … please tell Paul how your experience fits what we’ve outlined above.