As the son of Croatian immigrants, we had what we needed … but we certainly didn’t have any ‘extra’. Looking back … we were firmly entrenched at the bottom end of middle-class.
My mother usually shopped for groceries at Miracle Mart … and when we were expecting company on the weekend … she’d splurge for a few bottles of pop!
She never bought ‘good pop’ though – always opting for ginger ale.
For some reason, she seemed to think ginger ale was healthier.
My sisters and I thought it sucked!
When ginger ale was on special … she’d buy a whole whack of bottles.
At the time, you had to pay a 30-cent deposit for the 750ml and 60-cents for the 1.5-liter bottle.
Now, I never received an allowance as a kid … so sometimes, I had to get creative when I needed a little cash.
One day, I was home alone and had a genius idea!
I grabbed 4 unopened bottles from the fruit cellar and walked over to the kitchen sink.
I emptied each of them down the drain … and headed straight to Helen’s Variety to cash-in!
With $2.10 burning a hole in my pocket … I bought a king size Mars bar, a bag of Ring-o-lo’s, a bottle of coke … and as many one cent Swedish Berries as I could get with the rest of it.
This is where things went south – fast!
I propped myself up on the ice freezer in front of the store … and began feasting on my bounty.
Moments later, I heard a car honk – it was my mother … wagging her finger and motioning for me to get home.
I won’t get into what happened when I got home (as the statute of limitations may not have expired) but suffice it to say … my mom didn’t practice the “time-out” kind of parenting.
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
That said, now that we have your attention … check out Match and Fable’s latest Director, Sales role in the GTA.
POSITION: DIRECTOR, SALES (ONTARIO)
The Director, Sales will establish and develop sales strategies for the Ontario region.
As a senior leader in the organization, they will directly lead a sales team of 10 individuals.
- In conjunction with the Senior Director, Sales, the Director, Sales will assist in strategic planning and execution of sales and marketing initiatives to deliver business growth
- Mentor, coach and develop the Ontario sales team (10 individuals) to hone selling skills and achieve targets
- ~3 days per week in the field … working with sales team on joint calls
- Set clear sales activity objectives … remove roadblocks … and lead the charge
- Establish targets for the team … based on company margin and market share objectives
- Develop multi-level relationships with clients base – across Ontario
- 5 years in a sales management / leadership role
- An additional 5 years of individual contributor sales experience
- A ‘fresh’ perspective to creatively challenge conventional operating procedures
- Genuinely smart … with a desire to work in a results-oriented, client-centric environment
- Strong leadership skills … a coach and motivator who can build relationships resulting in performance
BASE SALARY: $120,000 – $125,000
ON-TARGET MBO: $20,000 (stretch target to $40,000)
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $140,000 – $145,000
OTHER: benefits + company vehicle + gas card
INTERESTED? There are 3 things we’ll need from you;
- Please send your resume to Mark Krpan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure the subject line of your email reads; GINGER ALE – 12J21MTCHFBL
- In a short email … please tell Mark how your experience fits what we’ve outlined above.