Margaret Hilda Roberts grew up in an apartment above her family’s grocery store in Grantham, England.
A stellar student, she would eventually earn a degree in Chemistry from Oxford University.
Margaret briefly entered the world of politics … and then chose to study law, graduating in 1953.
Margaret (now Thatcher) eventually returned to politics … and became Secretary of State for Education and Science.
9 years later, she would become Britain’s first lady Prime Minister – a position she held until 1990.
A staunch conservative, Thatcher tackled delicate issues including Britain’s recession, massive privatization and the Falklands War of 1982. Remarkably, she survived an assassination attempt by the IRA in 1984!
Along with her ally, US President, Ronald Reagan … “The Iron Lady” played a key role in the weakening of Soviet Communism and the subsequent collapse of the soviet structure. It’s been said … Thatcher was more popular with the Russian people than she was in her very own country!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Well, nothing really.
That said, in the spirit of The Iron Lady herself … our client is looking for an HR dynamo who knows a lot about a lot … and can contribute to their organization in a substantial way!
POSITION: DIRECTOR, HR (EASTERN CANADA)
REPORTS TO: SENIOR DIRECTOR, HR
OFFICE: CONCORD / VAUGHAN AREA
LOCATION: MONTREAL OR TORONTO BASED (with travel)
Our client is looking for a bilingual Director of Human Resources for Eastern Canada.
The successful candidate can be based from offices in Toronto or Montreal.
This is a senior role which demands a seasoned professional with a laundry list of experience.
We’ve listed the most important ones below. Check it out … and if you’re a fit – you know where to find us!
- Act as business partner with management teams to understand business from operational perspective
- Partner with management to develop / implement HR strategies in support of business objectives
- Support HR teams and management with grievance management, contract interpretation / negotiation, resolving performance-related issues, conflict resolution and effective employment termination
- Direct HR teams + management + employees re; employment laws & regulations, Employment Standards and Human Rights legislation … as well as the application of HR policies, processes and activities
- Oversee Disability Management and recruitment
- Communicate organizational objectives & ensure dialogue planning & evaluations are properly completed
- Participate in the annual Succession Planning and Compensation processes
- Lead teams to address business opportunities or challenges (large projects, M&A’s and facility closures
- MUST HAVE: University Degree
- MUST HAVE: Perfectly bilingual (English and French)
- NICE TO HAVE: Master’s Degree, CHRP + any other HR related designations or associations
- 10+ years’ experience with broad-based, HR generalist & HR management experience
- A confident personality … coupled with a high level of emotional intelligence
- Robust knowledge of Unionized Collective Agreements & Disability Management (WSIB, CSST, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of HR policies, procedures + fundamentals of Employment Law + Labour Relations
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, SAP or HRIS system + advanced Excel skills
- Solid technical HR expertise (employee / labour relations, disability management, compensation, benefits, organization development, talent acquisition / development)
- Strong leadership skills – ability to coach and mentor other HR professionals + share knowledge
- Based on location of successful candidate … ability to travel between Quebec and Ontario, as required
BASE SALARY: $140,000 – $150,000
MBO: up to 20% ($28,000 – $30,000)
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $168,000 – $180,000
OTHER: office flexibility + benefits + rrsp
QUALIFED? Then there are 3 things we need from you;
- Please send your resume to Mark Krpan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure the subject line of your email reads; IRON LADY – 5L91MTCHFBL
- In a short email … please tell Mark how your experience fits the requirements of this role.