Born in Alton, Illinois on February 22, 1918 … Robert Wadlow appeared to be just like any other baby.
But … by the age of one, he was over 3 feet tall, and … by his eighth birthday … nearly twice that!
At 13 years-old, Robert was easily the tallest Boy Scout in the world … at a height of 7 feet, 4 inches.
In 1936, he joined the Ringling Brothers traveling circus and drew enormous crowds at his appearances.
In 1938, Robert agreed to be the spokesman for the International Shoe Company and as a perk … he received his shoes for free (size 37AA).
As a result of his extreme height … Robert suffered with a lack of feeling in his legs.
Refusing to use a wheelchair, he elected to wear special braces that allowed him to walk.
Tragically, at the age of 22 … one of his braces caused a blister which Robert didn’t notice (due to the lack of feeling in his legs).
This blister eventually led to an infection … and ultimately … to the premature death of the gentle, ‘Alton Giant’.
Robert’s last recorded measurement (18 days prior to his passing) was 8 feet, 11.1 inches!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Not much really.
That said … our client looking for someone who can make a giant contribution to their business in the capacity of a General Manager for their hospitality operations in Mississauga.
POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER
REPORTS TO: OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
Our client has been transformational in their approach to the hospitality industry. With locations across North America, they represent ‘the cutting edge’ in terms of customer experience.
Match and Fable is proud to support their efforts as they look to grow their leadership team. Mark Vandyke is looking for a General Manager who is a genuine leader … able to direct and elevate the day-to-day operations of a multiple concept dining operation.
- Promote an attitude of cooperation, pride and success
- In charge of the ordering process and overseeing all cost and sales projections
- Responsible for budgets and scheduling of managers + crewmembers
- Provide leadership and establish high standards for food quality and customer service
- Staffing + training + responsibilities and deadlines
- Directs the team toward achieving the Unit’s financial goals while maintaining a positive work environment
- Minimum 3 years, senior manager experience in multi-unit concepts
- Ability to work flexible hours, days, shifts … including holidays
- Experience managing a P&L + budgeting + forecasting
- Strong culinary background and fine dining experience is a plus
- Commitment to service + dependability + personal drive and leadership
- Ability to train, delegate, coach, and aid in the development of crewmembers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clear a background check
BASE SALARY: $75,000
BONUS: $22,500 (up to 30%, paid quarterly)
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $97,500
OTHER: vacation + rrsp plan
INTERESTED? There are 3 things Mark Vandyke needs from you;
- Send your resume to Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure the subject line of your email reads; GIANT – 18E91MTCHFBL
- In a short email … please tell Mark how your experience fits what we’ve outlined above.