Early in his career … as coach of the St. Louis Blues, Scotty Bowman imposed a curfew on his team – the night before a game. Not fond of performing ‘bed-checks’ to make sure the players were back in time … Scotty approached the hotel’s bellhop, handed him ten dollars (remember … this was the 1960’s) … and a hockey stick.
As instructed … as midnight struck … the bellhop took his position by the lobby door and as the tardy players strolled (or stumbled) in, the bellhop asked them to autograph his hockey stick.
The next morning … Scotty brought this very same stick into the change room … and handed out the appropriate punishment.
Mr. Bowman holds the record for the most regular season wins (1,244) and Stanley Cup playoffs (223).
He ranks 2nd ‘all-time’ for most Stanley Cup victories by a player, coach or executive with thirteen!
He is widely recognized as one of the best coaches the NHL has ever seen.
What does this have to do with my role? Nothing really.
That said … if Scotty was available … I’d headhunt him for this role … but he’s not … so here’s your chance.
POSITION: DIRECTOR, SALES
REPORTS: 3 HUNTERS + 4 FARMERS = 7
LOCATION: DOWNTOWN TORONTO (WEST SIDE)
INDUSTRY: HEALTHCARE (PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS)
TARGET CANDIDATE: FROM B2B
My client is looking for a ‘really smart’ Sales Leader to join them at their table.
The Director of Sales is responsible for actively managing the performance of the Ontario sales team.
The company’s clientele consists of primary care physicians … but my client isn’t necessarily bent on a candidate from the HealthCare space … in fact … they’d prefer a strong B2B Sales Leader.
The team is comprised of ‘hunters who hunt’ and ‘farmers who farm’.
The sales team calls on primary care physicians across Ontario and their products and services help these physicians achieve a wide variety of business related objectives.
The role of the Director is to help the team achieve revenue quota and penetrate their current base.
- Work closely with Executive Team to bring sophistication to the daily sales efforts of the team
- Promote a consultative sales approach – driving value for the company and their clients
- Manage a growing team which is currently comprised of 3 Hunter Sales Reps and 4 Account Managers
- Develop a successful strategy … supported by training and motivation of the sales team
- Create weekly and monthly KPIs for the team
- Retain and grow relationships with physician leaders & clinic owners
- Promote new programs, products and services to meet annual business objectives
- Lead negotiations with customers including creating proposals and structuring financial solutions
- Participate in trade shows and conferences to ensure an effective outreach program
- 5 – 7 years’ sales management experience
- Professional sales leadership experience with superb organizational and time management skills
- Ability to train, evaluate and provide clear direction to sales group on performance improvement
- A solid work ethic … with a track record of experience translating strategies into actionable tactics
- Superior communication skills, with a proven ability to forge genuine team and client relationships
- Strong commitment to client service, and team orientation
- High-energy with a high sense of urgency, detail oriented and thorough
BASE SALARY: $110,000 – $120,000
MBO BONUS: $25,000
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $135,000 – $145,000
OTHER: benefits + car allowance
INTERESTED & QUALIFIED? If so … there are 3 things I need from you;
- Please send your resume to Mark Krpan at email@example.com.
- Ensure the subject line of your email reads; THE ‘SCOTTY BOWMAN’ ROLE – #25H17-MTCHFBL.
- In a BRIEF email … tell me about your experience in a similar Sales Leadership position.