One of the first games we learned to play as children was … ‘Monkey in the Middle’.
Not the most exciting game in the world … but the rules were pretty straight forward.
One unlucky ‘sucker’ stood in the middle of a group of other kids and tried to intercept a ball.
When they did … the kid who had touched the ball last, assumed the position of the ‘monkey’.
More often than not …. if a ‘round’ took more than a few minutes … (and it usually did) … the kid in the middle would usually just give up … and we’d all go play road hockey, instead.
What does this have to do with my latest role?
Well … nothing really.
That said, on this mandate … I’m looking for someone who is gifted at dealing with middlemen … and has a knack for creating lasting impressions with people.
Please realize … these middlemen are no monkeys … and they’re being courted by many others – just like you!
In this role, the M&A Associate’s primary objective is to network with Bankers and Business Brokers (across North America), forging genuine relationships … and capturing their ‘mind space’.
The goal of the M&A Associate is to ensure that when a business matching the type of business my client likes to acquire comes on the market … these middlemen will call them first!
POSITION: MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS ASSOCIATE
OFFICE: NORTH YORK
SECTOR: INDUSTRIAL MANUFACTURING
TERRITORY: NORTH AMERICA
TRAVEL: approximately 15%
There are 2 main responsibilities in this role; Deal Origination and Investment Analysis.
- Maintain and develop relationships, liaising with investment banks, accounting firms and other middlemen specialized in North American low-mid markets
- Visit with Brokers … and attend M&A conferences – across North America
- Analyze investment opportunities: review, screen and scrutinize Confidential Information Memorandums
- Perform financial analysis of companies
- Visit acquisition targets across North America, meeting with management teams and interacting with 3rd parties to access information
- Write memorandums and participate in the investment recommendation process … based on the overall acquisition strategy
- Undergrad Degree in Business, Engineering or MBA
- Experience in the Financial Industry would be optimal
- While this person doesn’t need to have direct sales experience … they must be sales-minded!
- 2+ years’ manufacturing environment exposure (private equity, investment banking or management consulting)
- Experience calling on and pitching to senior management decision makers
- Exposure to / understanding of … the manufacturing industry
- Extroverted personality with the ability to ‘hold your own’ with Wall Street and Bay Street Executives
- Knowledge of accounting and financial statements
- Must be memorable and leave an impression. Generally … the type of person people gravitate to
BASE SALARY: $80,000 – $100,000
ON-TARGET VARIABLE: confidential … but very lucrative … and uncapped!
INTERESTED & QUALIFIED?
1st – Email your resume to Mark Krpan at; firstname.lastname@example.org.
2nd – Ensure the subject line reads; THE ‘MONKEY IN THE MIDDLE’ ROLE – (26-F-17-MTCHFBL).
3rd – Don’t send a previously prepared, generic email … where you simply change the “Dear Insert Name” portion.
4th – Based on my job description … tell me specifically what makes you a fit for this role.